Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Rug Washing Questions


I know I have talked a little about rug washing but today I have had several questions about our cleaning methods.

1. “Why does the wool rug NOT shrink - when my wool clothes will shrink in the wash?”
Wool fibers have a cuticle an each fiber. This is a natural element of the wool. When you wash a wool sweater the cuticles become all twisted with each other and thus the item looks like it shrunk. This is called “felting”. When we clean a wool rug we keep the rug flat for scrubbing and rinsing so that the cuticles do not get all twisted up. Wool rugs have been wet cleaned for thousands of years and I have seen rugs cleaned by all means out there - steam, dry cleaning, and semi-wet- but the best method is good old fashion soap and water. We are able to wash away grit and grime leaving the rug fresh and clean.

2. “Will my rugs look brand new again after they are cleaned?”

My answer to that is “No.” But there are several factors involved that will keep your rug looking good. If you have purchased a higher quality rug, regularly vacuum it, have a good pad under the rug and rotate the rug in the room then the cleaning process will make the rug look great. Kind of like when you have new shirt and after it is washed it will never look brand new again but it looks clean and crisp. We take great care in the cleaning of the rugs and it will look fantastic. Part of the “mystery” of Oriental Rugs is watching them evolve and change over the years.

If you have any questions please feel free to call me at 513-251-2351 or email me at orientalrugman@hotmail.com. Email me your questions and I will answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment